Here is a list of questions you might want to consider asking a prospective commercial contractor or NJ home remodeling company.
Ask them all or select the ones you feel are most important to you.
1. Do they provide design/build services or just construction?
2. Do they do background check on all of their subs, including criminal records, drug testing, and driving records?
3. Do they regularly do projects in your area? Other areas? If so, what other areas?
4. What types of projects do they specialize in?
5. What types of clients do they find they work best with?
6. Do they do the kind of work you are looking to have done?
7. How many projects like yours have they done?
8. How long have they been in business?
9. How long has the owner been in the industry and in what capacities?
10. Do they belong to industry organizations such as the National Association of the Remodeling Industry, the National Association of Home Builders, Remodelers Advantage Roundtables, the Better Business Bureau, the local Chamber of Commerce, etc.?
11. How is the architectural design handled?
12. What are the qualifications of the architects and designers they use?
13. How do they assure that what they design can be built within your budget?
14. Do they provide full turnkey services? If so, what does that include?
15. How do they help you with product, color, materials, and other selections? Or do they help at all?
16. Do they handle all variance issues, permits, and licenses?
17. Are they licensed and fully insured? What about their subcontractors? Will they provide you documentation of the licenses and coverage?
18. How does their insurance protect you, the homeowner?
19. Can you see photos of their work?
20. Can they describe the process they use for a smooth, successful project?
21. How will communications be handled at each stage of the project?
22. Do they have recent references?
23. Do they have references from homeowners for whom they worked 5-10 years ago?
24. In what specific ways do they stand behind their work?
25. What is the experience of the production manager, lead carpenters and other tradespersons who will work on your project?
26. What percentage of the project manager’s time will be devoted to your project?
27. Will senior management be involved in your project and, if so, in what way?
28. Will they use subcontractors? If so, how long have they used these specific subcontractors?
29. Do they build to meet code or do they build to exceed code? If so, in what ways?
30. What steps do they take to keep your home and belongings safe and clean during construction?
31. Where will they store building materials?
32. How do they handle site security?
33. How do they handle pets?
34. Will they provide you with a detailed schedule of the project?
35. How are change orders and their costs handled?
36. How do they figure and use ‘allowances?’
37. How do they estimate their ‘allowances’ for things like tile, lights, appliances, etc.? Do they estimate them to allow you to buy low, medium, high, premium, or super-premium quality products and materials?
38. What are they looking for in a client?
39. What will they expect from you at each stage of the process?
For more information about how we can help you with your next remodeling project, please contact us today and sign up for the T&K Contractors Newsletter for tips on bathroom remodeling, room additions, handyman services, kitchen remodeling in NJ and more.